Yeah so this about twenty years late, but better late than never, no? Well I figure if I really want to commit to this hippy life I should at least know how to ride a bike. This is a lot easier than it sounds, but to my surprise I didn’t suck as badly at it as I thought I would and I did manage to pedal a few times. But it occurred to me as I wobbled along, picturing all the while that I was riding to Spitalfields Market (maybe this is why I was distracted and couldn’t steer straight) that life is a lot like learning to ride a bike. For the following reasons, in no particular order.
1. it hurts sometimes.
2. you need to find balance!
3. you will fall!
4. it really helps to have a boomsie (thank you, starch mango tree)
5. did I mention balance?
6. be patient with yourself, you will get it evenutally (I had a few Don Music moments)
7. random men will think it’s okay to give you their (unsolicited) advice.
8. when you can’t make it up the hill, it’s always good to have a friend to push you, and steer you away from the potholes.
9. there are potholes and you seem to be attracted to them.
10. laughing helps.
11. everybody looks this stupid at least once in their lives.
12. brakes! don’t forget the brakes.
Anyway, my hands hurt from hours of over-zealous brake application so that’s about as much wisdom as I can impart for now. all of which is to say that I’m glad that I got over my lameness and actually took the chance to try something new!